Open Innovation Test Beds for nano-enabled surfaces and membranes
NewSkin aims to create an Open Innovation Test Bed (OITB) to provide the European Industry with the necessary resources and services to generate a set of game-changing, efficient, and cost-effective processes to manufacture nano-enabled industrial and consumer products. Nano-enabled surfaces and membranes are compatible with most material substrates. Their properties have the capacity to advance material functionality and improve performance. Therefore, the NewSkin OITB will not be limited to a specific market or industry. Different sectors of European Industry will be included in the NewSkin Consortium.
What is an OITB?
Open Innovation Test Beds are entities offering access to physical facilities, capabilities, and services required for the development, testing, and upscaling of nanotechnology and advanced materials in the industry. The objective of an OITB is to bring nanotechnologies and advanced materials within the reach of companies and users in order to advance validation in laboratory to prototypes in industrial environments.
The barriers that reduce nano-enabled surfaces and membrane commercialization are the following:
- Low productivity of manufacturing processes
- Difficulties in the development of mass processes, especially for large components
- Reduced robustness and reliability of available processes for nano-formulated coatings
- Nano-security and nano-safety issues
- Temperature limitations
- Inaccurate pattern definition in < 100 nm range
- Lack of tests and standards to demonstrate superior performance
- The need for in-line quality procedures
- Access to funding and investors to ensure sustainability
To apply the OITB, to upscale, and to provide testing facilities to validate and advance nano-enabled surface technology and open up new market avenues for European industries.
Examples of NewSkin Products:
- Nano-enhanced liquid and powder coatings
- Nano-enabled water membranes
- Industrial components
- Functional ceramics
- Nano-enabled foils, envelopes, films, and packaging
- Setup and organization of a sustainable OITB and long-term stakeholder engagement
- Upgrade ten pilot plants for prototype manufacturing and industrial processes
- Validation of OITB proposition and services provision
- Reach nano-surface performance targets
- Generate knowledge in the relevant fields
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement